This year India and Pakistan decided to re-establish relations and continue the dialogue about peace and security in the region. Early this week, the countries’ home secretaries met to discuss various problems (Shah Singh, 2011). On top of this, the last-minute invitation issued by Mr. Singh, was seen as a gesture of good will towards Pakistan. The prime ministers watched the game together and held talks afterwards (Barman, 2011).There is some criticism to this: some argue that Mr. Singh simply wanted to distract from the corruption charges against his government, while others point out that Mr. Gilani is really not very powerful in Pakistan and cannot make any important deals. Further, past cricket diplomacy efforts might have been hailed a success at the time of the meeting, but relations deteriorated soon afterwards (Yardley, 2011).
Watch this debate on the invitation issued by Mr. Singh – it includes some interesting arguments by both sides, but at the same time demonstrates how easy tensions between the two countries rise (as the experts end up fighting over politics).
- Barman, Abheek (2011) “Cricket Diplomacy: India, Pakistan make significant gains at Mohali“, The Economic Times, 31st March, http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/cricket-diplomacy-india-pakistan-make-significant-gains-at-mohali/articleshow/7831148.cms, accessed: 31.3.2011, 11:05
- Croft, Stuart (2005) “South Asia’s Arms Control Process: Cricket Diplomacy and the Composite Dialogue“, International Affairs, Vol.81, No.5, pp.1039-1060
- Naess-Holm, Arne (2007) “Batting for Peace: A Study of Cricket Diplomacy Between India and Pakistan”, Master’s Thesis for Peace and Conflict Studies, Oslo University, http://www.duo.uio.no/publ/statsvitenskap/2007/60148/Battingforpeace.pdf, accessed: 31.3.2011, 11:20
- Shah Singh, Harmeet (2011) “India, Pakistan in Talks Ahead of Cricket-Diplomacy Summit”, CNN, 28th March, http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/28/india.cricket.diplomacy/index.html?eref=edition, accessed: 31.3.2011, 11:04
- The Times of India (2011) “’Cricket Diplomacy’ as India Beat Pakistan”, 31st March, http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-03-31/news/29365785_1_cricket-diplomacy-yousuf-raza-gilani-pakistani-leader, accessed: 31.3.2011, 23:28
- Yardley, Jim (2011) “Cricket Offers Chance for India-Pakistan Diplomacy”, The New York Times, 29th March, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/world/asia/30india.html?_r=1, accessed: 31.3.2011, 11:04